Bird Enthusiasts come see our
127 bird types, including Bald Eagles
BE A MEMBER in saving nature for future generations; 100% of contributions go to preservation and maintenance of wetland, woodland and wildlife
Zoarites build the Brewery. Export kegs of beer via the Ohio & Erie Canal
Brewery operations comes to an end
Alexander Gunn purchased the brewery and turned it into a library
Zoar lake purchased by non-profit and restoration of the public nature park began.
German Seperatists first arrive in the Tuscarawas River Valley
Consortium of businessmen from Massillon, the Zoar Lake and Resort Company, own the Zoar Lake and rename the Brewery Kellers Tavern
Zoar Seperatists officially disband, begin private ownership
Zoar Lake privately owned, small house built over brewery foundation. Putt Putt golf opened at levee
Began construction and opened a large dance pavillion on the rear of the brewery.
The Village of Zoar is full of history and memories of the German immigrants who settled there in 1817. Many of the homes and several industrial buildings have been preserved for us to enjoy today. But, one piece of Zoar history that remains obscure is the 1830 Brewery built on the bank of a shallow lake just west of the village. A flood control levee now separates the Village from that shallow lake, now known as the Zoar Wetland.
Our picnic shelter now sits on top of the old brewery foundation and offers a stunning view of the 30-acre shallow lake. The stone terraces are constructed from the original stone blocks that once framed the old brewery. It seemed pretty common for an organized community to have its own brewery during the 19th century, so it is not surprising that the German immigrants in Zoar built such a large structure early in their history. The recipe is long lost but we can guess that it was similar to their native German beer of the homeland. The vaulted wine cellar under the brewery is a beautiful example of the German craftsmanship so common in many of the homes in Zoar today.
The path going off to the right of the pavilion was a wagon route that led to the Canal town of Bolivar some three miles to the north. The old wagon route is now a grassy hiking trail that follows the contour of the lake, but it no longer goes to Bolivar. The trail ends near the northern edge of the wetland and visitors must return the same trail back to the pavilion.
Brewery & Dance Hall burns down during the great flood